GSoC project request for comments

Josh Warner silvertrumpet999 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 19:22:49 EDT 2014

I’ll go on record saying +1 for including NetworkX as a *required*
dependency. It’s a big decision, but here’s why:

   -

   NetworkX is pure Python, and if any target system satisfies our
   dependencies they should be able to build NetworkX with no problems
    -

   NetworkX is mature, so the prior statement should not change
    - While right now the use and utility of a robust graph representation
   in scikit-image would be somewhat limited, graph theory has strong utility
   throughout the package.

The third point is the reason I favor a required dependency rather than an
optional one. At present making it an optional dependency would not be that
difficult, but if we make it *required* we can build on it without constant
concern of fallback code paths or functions which just won’t exist if
NetworkX is missing. Also, this would ensure our full package is exposed to
the most users; e.g., Anaconda/Canopy/pip fetch and build required
dependencies but not all have elegant provisions for optional ones.

If NetworkX weren’t mature and/or if NetworkX didn’t share dependencies
with scikit-image, my answer would be different.
​