reduce time taken for ellipse detection

Austin Chungath austincv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 14:47:51 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am trying out the ellipse hough transform as described in the following
link:
http://scikit-image.org/docs/dev/auto_examples/plot_circular_elliptical_hough_transform.html#example-plot-circular-elliptical-hough-transform-py

The ellipse detection in the example above with the coffee mug takes about
15 seconds to give a result.
Unfortunately, I need to be able to at least do this in under a second
since I am working on a video stream.

1. Is it possible to get the time taken for ellipse detection to under a
second?
2. Are there any suggestions for improving the execution time?
3. Are there any other library/package that can do ellipse detection better?
4. When I use my own image instead of the coffee mug - I get an error :Buffer
and memoryview are not contiguous in the same dimension
I use the following code for loading the image the rest of the code is the
same from the above example.
image_rgb = io.imread('ellipse.png') #instead of  image_rgb =
data.coffee()[0:220, 160:420]
Obviously I must be doing something wrong.

I had mostly been working with OpenCV so I am a bit new to skimage's way of
doing things. Please feel free to assume that I am a noob and any help is
much appreciated.

Thanks,
Austin