Building skimage wheels for OS X using Travis CI

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 21:14:46 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 3:47 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Jonathan Helmus <jjhelmus at gmail.com> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>>     To follow up on the thread in which Matthew provided OS X wheel packages
>> for the v0.10.0 release, I was inspired to create a more reproducible method
>> for building wheels.  What I came up with is a GitHub repository [1] which
>> uses the Mac OS X CI environment provided by Travis CI and miniconda to
>> create wheels for Python 2.6, 2.7, 3.3 and 3.4.  These are uploaded to
>> GitHub as a Release which users can download. These files could be then
>> uploaded to PyPI, perhapes after renaming them so indicate that they will
>> work using the Python.org/macport/homebrew python.  Travis CI could also be
>> setup to upload these file to directly to PyPI or to S3, Rackspace, or a
>> number of other providers [2].
>>
>>     I have not extensively tested these wheel files.  Despite having
>> Anaconda's platform (macosx_10_5_x86_64) I expect that these work with other
>> Mac Python versions, but verification should be done. It should be possible
>> to adapt this to use a different version of Python for the build (the
>> Python.org version is probably best) if compatibility is an issue.  Let me
>> know if folks are interested in using this and I'd be happy to improve upon
>> the method.
>>
>> Also a big thanks to Matthew for providing the initial spark of interest and
>> for the great write up on spinning wheels for OS X [3].  Python packaging is
>> getting pretty exciting.
>
> Nice job - it looks very clean.
>
> I had the same idea, but my setup is much messier; I use some shell
> scripts I inherited from Matt Terry [1]. Example in use (much less
> neat than yours, but for a more complex build) [2].
>
> Although your install is really neat, I think conda isn't a good basis
> for the wheels, because it is x86_64 only, so can't build wheels
> compatible with system python or python.org python:
>
> $ python -c "import distutils.util; print(distutils.util.get_platform())"
>
> macosx-10.5-x86_64
>
> Here's a testing grid for the scipy stack, checking wheel
> compatibility across a range of OSX Pythons, and including i386 -
> again - based on Matt Terry's scripts [3].  Maybe something like that
> could be generalized for - say - scikit-image test wheels for RCs and
> development builds. I think that would be pretty easy.

This is a scikit-image wheel builder using Matt Terry's scripts and
Python.or g pythons:

https://github.com/matthew-brett/scikit-image-wheels

It runs the tests before uploading, and the tests will be a little
tough to get passing - they have lots of dependencies - but the
general structure is a bit cleaner than I had first thought,

Cheers,

Matthew