Desired Image Compression algorithms in scikit-image

Ankit Agrawal aaaagrawal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 14:35:43 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 4:41 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Stuart Mumford <stuart at mumford.me.uk>wrote:
>
>> As point of note, if you are looking into doing Python based JPEG200 you
>> should look over the glymur project (
>> https://github.com/quintusdias/glymur) which is Python wrappers around
>> the OpenJPEG C lib. If you can code the compression algorithm in Python,
>> that library might provide you some framework for dealing with the meta
>> data and other things(which are in Python in glymur), save you re-inventing
>> the wheel.
>>

> I just had a look at Glymur, and that's the kind of code that's useful but
> you really don't want to write. I suggested JPEG 2000 simply because it's a
> well-known wavelet based algorithm. The scope of Ankit's GSoC should be
> *algorithms* imho; dealing with file formats, metatdata, etc. would be a
> huge time sink and out of scope for both scipy and scikit-image I'd think.

I concur with Ralf. IMHO, the complete implementation of JPEG 2000 is not
something I can manage completely in two and a half weeks. Meanwhile, I am
going through the most cited
paper<https://www.math.purdue.edu/~lucier/692/DJL-image-compression.pdf>that
I got in this area 'Image Compression Through Wavelet Transform
Coding', which seems big too. I think maybe Josh has knowledge about
wavelet based compression techniques?