generic non-linear filtering that support selem and boundary handling

Chencan QIAN qianchencan at gmail.com
Mon May 26 02:50:10 EDT 2014

Essentially, this is something similar
to scipy.ndimage.filters.generic_filter (which is too slow because of its
internal python for-loop), but implemented in cython as with
skimage.filter.rank family.

Given the diversity within skimage.filter.rank, a generic function would be
very useful. For example, I'd like to calculate local variance, which is
conceptually similar to skimage.filter.rank.mean, but not supported
currently.

I guess the absence of such a function must be due to some unresolved
technical obstacle?

Thanks~

Chencan