ANN: imageio v1.0

Almar Klein almar.klein at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 17:40:37 EST 2014

> Thanks for the announcement!  Can you expand on how you see the
> eco-system of scikit-image, imread and imageio interacting?

Since imageio has a pretty good plugin system, it could be a good place
to implement io for all the weird scientific file formats that exist.
Next to imread(), volread(), etc. imageio also provides the read()
function, which returns a reader object specific to the plugin. This
reader object can have additional methods and may yield other data then
just 2D/3D numpy arrays if this makes sense for the format.

So I suppose I am hoping for skimage devs to embrace imageio and help
move it further.

With that, I suppose skimage could focus on the processing rather than
the io, since ideally, we'd have one library for processing images, and
one for reading/saving images.

<rant>
Developers tend to have a fear for dependencies. I understand this, and
I try to minimize dependencies myself, but reading/writing images is a
task that warrants a standalone package IMO. It troubles me a bit that
different libraries are each rolling their own image io  functionalities.
</rant>

As for the imread package: Zach and I considered it when discussing
plans for imageio, but imread is based on C++, which is harder to
maintain and makes it a harder dependency. imageio is pure Python with
ctypes bindings to some libs that are auto-downloaded.

- Almar

PS: some fancy stuff that imageio can do which might be interesting for
skimage users: stream images from webcam, export visualizations to
animated gif or mp4.