ANN: imageio v1.0

Almar Klein almar.klein at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 11:13:08 EST 2014

> By vendoring I meant including a snapshot of the imageio project in the
> scikit-image repo, and
> using it if there is not a system version available (which is how we
> handle `tifffile.py`).

I suppose you'd like imageio to use relative imports throughout for this
to work? It does not yet, but that's easy enough to fix from my end.

> I agree with Stéfan that we should include
> imageio as an optional plugin in the short term and then once an imageio
> Debian package
> and conda mainline package are available, more toward making it a
> requirement instead of PIL.

That sounds like a reasonable plan.

> I will implement the imageio scikit-image plugin (unless you'd rather),
> but I've got a few other commitments
> lined up prior to getting more involved in the short term.

Great. I am involved in a few other things now as well, so I was hoping
someone would pick this up.

 > As someone who has worked in a lab with no internet connection, I am
 > wary of requiring an external library to be downloaded upon install

Actually, it's downloaded at runtime. Which is even worse, I guess :)
The motivation for this is that a) it made the code simpler; 2) some
dependencies like the ffmpeg exe are rather large, and installing these
by default (or shipping them along in the dist package) seemed like
something that might irritate users who just want to read a png image.

I'd be happy to work towards a solution for that. At least to get
freeimage working. Perhaps you can help find a solution, as having been
in such a situation, you might have a good idea of what could work and
what not. See: https://github.com/imageio/imageio/issues/42

Regards,
   Almar