MultiImage, converse_memory and tifffile plugin

jim at rybarski.com jim at rybarski.com
Sun Oct 12 11:09:09 EDT 2014

So recently I had to stop using MultiImage to open up a large TIFF stack as
I kept getting memory errors, even when using converse_memory=True (it ends
up loading the entire file into memory regardless). I installed the
tifffile module and used that instead, as it has the ability to open the
file but load only one image at a time.

I think it would be nice if MultiImage was able to do this automatically
(or by getting a plugin argument), especially since the behavior of the
TiffFile class is conceptually very similar to MultiImage. Thoughts?