Image class

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 10:52:12 EDT 2014

Cool, looks like there's lots of discussion to be had about this, but all
positive -- I had expected more pushback, for some reason! =)

@stefanv:
> Do we have some use cases for this?

Spacing and masks, as you mentioned.

Spatial resolutions, so we can deal with images acquired at different
resolutions, e.g. registering light and electron microscopy images of the
same sample. Also, as in Tim's talk, to allow drawing of scale bars on
displayed images.

Image orientation and absolute coordinates, which help with registration
and montaging.

Image acquisition date, which could be important e.g. to generate time
series.

 That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more!

@stefanv @tacaswell @tonysyu
> Please find out how, then we can fix up the io.Image class!

Tom's link <https://github.com/soft-matter/pims/blob/master/pims/frame.py>
to the solution in PIMS reminds me that it was indeed Dan who pointed out
that they'd solved the scalar issue.

@glyg
> I would suggest relying on OME.XML

I think that might be a little too heavy for our uses, but I might be
wrong. Either way, it's probably possible to have a compatibility layer
between XML and whatever use cases we want to follow. (e.g. Automatically
reading out "PhysicalSizeX/Y/Z" tags and converting those to a "spacing"
tag.)

Juan.