A DataFrame-like container for image data

Yotam Doron doron.yotam at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 28 03:36:33 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I wrote the beginnings of a DataFrame-like container for image processing.
It's an experiment for the moment, a small wrapper around a dictionary of
arrays, and I'd be interested in any kind of feedback

https://github.com/yotam/pictureframe

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pictureframe/0.1.0

https://github.com/yotam/pictureframe/blob/master/examples/quickstart.py

I wrote this because in my work I either end up with

   - procedural code where I pass around lots of image-shaped arrays, or
   - classes that have lots of image-shaped arrays as member variables

I wanted to avoid having to write repeated indexing code whenever I work on
a subset, and to have some guarantees about the shape of the data. I also
wanted to be able to quickly generate a scaled-down version of all my
arrays and to leave the door open for higher dimensional data like vxel
grids.

Main differences from Pandas DataFrame

   - Arrays can have varying dimensions, only the first `fixed_dim`
   dimensions must match. So you can keep together data such as RGB, depth,
   label distributions, weight maps and so on.
   - Higher dimensional data, not just a tabular structure.

Main differences from scikit-image ImageCollection and MultiImage

   - Slicing and indexing operate on the underlying array data rather than
   selecting a subset of the images.
   - Images are constrained to match on first dimensions.
   - Not constrained to image data, e.g. indexing can return a PictureFrame
   with fewer constrained dimensions.

Any thoughts, suggestions or "aren't you just reimplementing library X?"
are very welcome. This is the first time I've tried to release a package so
if anything seems unusual please let me know.

Thanks,

Yotam