skimage is marked for autoremoval from testing

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Sat Aug 15 18:19:46 EDT 2015

Hi Josh

On 2015-08-15 09:25:33, Josh Warner <silvertrumpet999 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Three potential solutions come to mind:
>
>    - Remove `lena` from the package, raising an error informing
>    the user  the image is not free and directing them to
>    `astronaut`.  - Simply alias all queries for `lena` to
>    `astronaut`, with a warning.  - Instead of loading from disk,
>    have `imread` obtain this image from a  permalinked
>    URL. Ideally an aliased one we can redirect if a host
>    dies. We  could have a couple fallback URLs, too. Biggest
>    question is what to do if  no internet connection is
>    available.
>
> I favor the first or third solutions.

I am in favor of option 1.  I think option 3 still will allow our
users to accidentally use copyrighted imagery, while our policy is
that all images are freely redistributable.

The problem is that Lena was used to generate a whole bunch of
tests results in Matlab, stored as .npy files.  I no longer have
access to the script that generated those.  Looking at those tests
(mostly in the morphology submodule), I think it would be better
if we could re-engineer the tests to look at image properties,
rather than to compare them pixel-for-pixel to MATLAB results.
Doing that will require some work.