GSoC: Rewriting scipy.ndimage in Cython

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 13:45:36 EDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefanv at berkeley.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Aman
>
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 9:52 AM, AMAN singh <ug201310004 at iitj.ac.in> wrote:
> > Please tell me whether I am on right track or not. If you can suggest me
> > some resources which will be helpful to me in understanding the project,
> > would be highly obliged. Also, I would like to know that how much part of
> > ndimage is to be ported under this project since it is a big module.
> > Kindly provide me some suggestions and guide me through this.

Hi Aman, the idea is to port the whole module. I think you should make a
plan for that. We are aware that it's a large job, and whether or not it's
feasible to complete all of ndimage within one GSoC depends on how fast you
will go. Compared to porting scipy.cluster last year I'd guess that ndimage
is >2x more work. However, Richard last year implemented new features in
addition to completing the port, so for a fast student I expect it to be
possible to complete the whole module. I would expect the main challenge to
be to make the Cython version (close to) as fast as the current C code.

> Thanks for your interest in GSoC 2015!  Please have a look at the
> issues for scikit-image, and try and submit a few PRs so that we can
> work together and get to know you a bit better.

@all: it's maybe good to know that Aman has already submitted 5 PRs to
Scipy (4 small ones merged, 1 larger one for which the bottleneck is on our
side):
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pulls?q=is%3Apr+author%3Abewithaman+is%3Aclosed

@Aman: the majority of expertise and mentoring power will likely come from
the scikit-image devs, so it would be good to submit a few scikit-image PRs
as Stefan says. Feel free to ping me - I read the scikit-image mailing list
but not Github activity.

Cheers,
Ralf