Repository for GSoC project

Jaime Fernández del Río jaime.frio at gmail.com
Mon May 25 15:37:29 EDT 2015

Hi all,

This year I am mentoring Aman for one of the GSoC projects we have
underway, "Rewriting ndimage in Cython." By its very nature it doesn't
conform very well to the "many small pull requests" model: from the point
of view of scipy, things are going to be broken up until almost the very
last commit. I am not sure what the best way to set up a collaborative code
development environment would be, and so am asking for the collective
wisdom to help guide us.

Aman could simply create one ginormous pull request that will grow, and
grow, and not be merged until everything was ready. I don't like this idea
too much, as it is going to eventually be a confusing mess, and I think it
would also make it difficult for others than Aman (that would mostly be me)
to contribute code.

I think we could also use a branch, either on my fork of scipy or on
Aman's, as the repository on which development would happen, and against
which PRs would be created, and once completed send a single PR to the main
scipy repo. This may work, but I don't like it much either.

What probably makes more sense is to create a new branch **in the main
scipy repository**, and have PRs sent and merged against that branch, which
would eventually be merged with master upon completion. NumPy seems to have
a couple such experimental branches ('with_maskna' and
'enable_separate_by_default'), although there is none in SciPy that I see.
This would also allow us to keep the project in a controlled environment,
even if by the end of the summer not every single bit of ndimage has been
ported.

If this third path is really the preferred way of doing things, I could
probably set things up myself (Ralf gave me commit rights when I became a
mentor for this project), but I'd like to hear what others think, before
abusing my powers.

Thanks!

Jaime

--