scipy.ndimage.morphology.binary_opening performance vs. cv2.morphologyEx

Benny Lichtner kak0iy0kunai at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 01:54:17 EDT 2015

Hey, all. I've been using scipy.ndimage.morphology.binary_opening on images
around 15000 x 5000 in size (scans of old seismograms!). I did a quick
comparison with open cv's cv2.morphologyEx and noticed the cv2 opening was
about 10x faster.

Is this expected? I don't know much about how scipy and opencv differ under
the hood. If unexpected, I'll take a closer look at the two.

(I was kindly pointed to this google group by folks replying to my github
issue: https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/5333.)

--Benny