curvature filter

Emmanuelle Gouillart emmanuelle.gouillart at nsup.org
Sat Sep 12 03:42:04 EDT 2015

Hello Yuanhao,

thank you very much for telling us about your curvature filters. The
speed of execution is quite impressive. I didn't understand how one
should choose the number of iterations, though: could you please explain
the influence of the number of iterations on the final result?

For scikit-image, two important questions are 1) is this feature of
interest for a large number of users? (I would say yes, but I don't know
about the subject...) 2) is the code easy to maintain, free of bugs, well
documented?

As for the second point, it is always a bit tricky for us to include very
recent code (like the one that you developed during your PhD), because of
the lack of hindsight regarding the algorithm and the implementation.
It's almost a joke among developers (please don't be offended, it's
really just a joke!) to say that for scikit-image, we strive to include
only mature algorithms (typically, algorithms presented in papers that
are well cited), and not code developed during a recent PhD! The reason
is that if we include code on which we don't have enough hindsight (for
example, if the filters do really crazy things on some kinds of images,
or crash on some images, or are hard to tune), users won't like it, and
it won't be good for the reputation of scikit-image.

That said, your implementation is not very long, and the principle of the
algorithm seems to be quite easy to understand. Do you plan to publish
about these filters (maybe you already did)? Are there other papers on
similar algorithms that are well cited? I know that paper citation is not
a satisfying metric to quantify the maturity of an algorithm, but it's
the only one I can easily get at the moment.

One thing that would be possible would be to create a separate project to
write your filters in Python, try to get a few people using it, get
feedback on bugs and enhancements (no matter how much love and care you
put into a code, there always a lot of things that need to be fixed
when other people use your code!). I would definitely try to use it on my
images if it were written in Python. And then we could think of including
the filters in scikit-image. This are my thoughts, but other developers
of scikit-image might think differently, so you might get different
opinions.

Anyway, thanks a lot once again, hope to hear more from you.
Emmanuelle