skimage.io.Image??

Stéfan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 18 16:03:38 EDT 2016

Hey Fernando (& skimage list, CC'd)

On 18 April 2016 at 01:43, Fernando Perez <fperez at lbl.gov> wrote:
> Quick question, where did this go?
>
> http://scikit-image.org/docs/0.11.x/api/skimage.io.html#image
>
> It's not there in 0.12 and newer, and nowhere do the docs indicate that it
> was removed, moved or otherwise tell me what I should do:
>
> http://scikit-image.org/docs/dev/api_changes.html#version-0-12

This was an oversight; we have a two release deprecation policy (with
inline warnings + mentions in the docs) which was not followed in this
case.  The internal API change was documented in the v0.9 api_changes
document, but unfortunately not the rest.

> We have an example in IPython that uses it:
> https://github.com/ipython/ipywidgets/blob/master/docs/source/examples/Image%20Processing.ipynb

I spoke to Brian several months ago to fix the issue after this came
to our attention, but I guess the changes have not made their way
through to ipywidgets.

> Any help appreciated (and you shouldn't remove classes like this from the
> API without deprecation period, warning or mention in the docs :)

Of course, you are right, this type of thing should never, ever
happen--I apologize for the confusion and wasted time.

The Image class, just like most other numpy subclasses, turned out to
be a mistake.  It wouldn't carry through the whole pipeline, and ended
up causing more confusion than what it helped.

I've factored out the source and attached it here, in case that is of some help:

from image import Image
from skimage import data
cat = data.chelsea()
Image(cat)