Opinion poll: feedback URL upon import

Christoph Deil deil.christoph at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 26 03:05:39 EDT 2016

Hi,

I agree with Emma, as a scikit-image user, I would find it annoying.
Especially if it catches on and many other Python packages start doing the same.

It’s probably very rare, but if people check the text output of their library or application and use scikit-image somewhere, this could even break their test build.

In Astropy there has also been some discussion about how to get feedback from users. There the discussion was more along the lines of wanting to collect info which platform, versions are in use, and which sub-packages and functions in the Astropy package are used. I.e. there was discussion about adding some code to send such usage stats info to a server, like many apps do. This didn’t happen, I think the idea has been dropped.

It would be very nice and important to get more feedback from users!

But it seems to me that asking for it on the website like Emma proposes or in conversations and presentations might be the safer way.

Christoph