maximum square inside a contour

GeorgesVis georgeshattab at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 12:46:42 EDT 2016

How about turning problem into an optimisation problem ?
You have the green square, could be considered as initial maximum square
dimensions.

I believe it can be done by varying the position of the square along a path
that maximises the square dimensions while all px values remain at 0 (ubyte
image).
The path can be chosen depending on the polygon properties, if it is a
platonic solid you use mass centre or the positions along the symmetry axis
(example above).

Else, a more expensive approach: pick random positions (pos) and keep same
size. Check if all px==0: increase size; else: continue to next pos.
I think you should also look at the flood fill algorithm, could also be
helpful.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Georges