Migration to Python 3.x

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 22:17:55 EDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Nelle Varoquaux <nelle.varoquaux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 9 August 2016 at 17:28, Juan Nunez-Iglesias <jni.soma at gmail.com> wrote:
> > @Emmanuelle I'm probably among the ones pushing hardest for this, and I
> can
> > tell you, I can't wait for this change in policy, and would be sorely
> > disappointed by having to work in an experimental branch of scikit-image.
> > Both @-matmul and keyword-only arguments are, imho, compelling reasons to
> > switch. (Imagine the amount of fiddling with the API that we could do
> with
> > keyword-only arguments, without the annoying deprecation cycle!)
> >
> > @Ralf I would argue in favour of 3.5, for the above reasons and because
> > anyone who had the temerity to update to 3.4 is very likely to
> subsequently
> > move to 3.5. (Self-selected group of early adopters, plus no backwards
> > incompatibility issues between the two versions.)

I agree with this argument, I was just asking to clarify. @ is at least
something interesting that's specifically added for scientific users, so
imho 3.5 is the first 3.x release where in some cases the benefits may
start to be worth the costs.

> That implies that even ubuntu users will have to install python from
> another source than the package manager. Do you really want this? That
> means that only fairly advance python users will be able to use the
> latest scikit-image release.

In the grand scheme of things, does Ubuntu matter much for this decision?
There are way more Windows and OS X users, so if it's OK for them (which is
not a given) then it should also be OK for those fewer and on average more
computer-literate Ubuntu users.

Ralf