Migration to Python 3.x

Stéfan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 10 18:24:29 EDT 2016

On 10 August 2016 at 01:03, Emmanuelle Gouillart <
emmanuelle.gouillart at nsup.org> wrote:

> I completely agree that it would be great to obtain statistics about
> who uses Python 2.7 or 3.x but I can't see an easy way to do it. Could we
> have a button on the website linking to a small form asking whether
> people are using Python 2.7 or 3.x? Maybe it has already been mentioned
> on the mailing-list.

I'll work on getting hold of some statistics from PyPA.

> 2) so, to estimate when the change should happen (0.14, 0.15?), we need
> to evaluate the "economics" of such a decision. How many users are going
> to be impacted? How much development time are we losing by not switching
> right now? How do we balance these two factors (or others)?

I don't think the developer cost is very high right now.  I wanted to test
the waters a bit and see how the rest of the team felt, but I think there
are enough compelling arguments to stick to 2.7-compatibility for now.  We
can always revisit the issue again a year or so from now, when the
landscape might have changed.

Thanks for all the feedback!