Task board

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 30 19:54:09 EDT 2016

Hi Johannes

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016, at 12:58, Johannes Schönberger wrote:
> I agree that Github does not provide a good overview of active/passive
> issues. I am overwhelmed by the amount of issues and, usually, after a
> week of scikit-image "abstinence" :-), I have to start from scratch to
> find the relevant issues. Tags don't really help me in this regard
> either...

Did you look at the proposed Zube (or the alternatives)?  I'd be curious
to hear what you think.

> > We have a document (http://scikit-image.org/docs/stable/contribute.html)
> > that invites users to contribute, but we can simplify those instructions
> > for newcomers, and also add a "Please help us review some code" button
> > on the front page?
>
> +1, In my opinion, reviewing is almost more important than writing the
> code. With the current system, Github only "rewards" people who
> contribute code and, I think, this is part of the problem. With every
> commit, people get credit in the form of # commits or # lines of code and
> Github shows the stats nicely in the profile or the project graphs. Maybe
> there is a way to create an equivalent for the reviewing process, e.g., #
> comments and # merged PRs.
>
> What do people think about this idea?

We can extend our release script to pull that information from GitHub.
Would it be helpful to credit with new releases, or should this come as
more continuous feedback, e.g. a weekly mail to the list with
statistics?