blob detection and dust removal

Vighnesh Birodkar vighneshbirodkar at gmail.com
Mon May 2 00:27:52 EDT 2016

Hi

That really depends on your application. What's your motivation for
removing these dust particles ? How are these images going to be processed
further ?

Thanks
Vighnesh

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 12:13:27 AM UTC-4, Raphael wrote:

> hi Vighnesh,
>
>  Thanks a bunch!! I see my error now.
>
> Actually that blob you detected a dust particle. Which  operation would
> you suggest to erase it? I tried morphological erosion but it doesn't take
> it away.
>
> Thanks
> Raphael
>
> On 1 May 2016 at 18:27, Vighnesh Birodkar <vighnesh... at gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Hello Raphael
>>
>> The error here is because the output of blob_doh in a numpy array of
>> blobs, it is not an image meant for display. If you notice the example the
>> blobs are being drawn separately inside the for loop. If no blobs are being
>> detected, you can adjust the threshold. Lowering the threshold will make
>> the function detect more blobs. It is clarified futher in the documentation
>>
>> http://scikit-image.org/docs/dev/api/skimage.feature.html#skimage.feature.blob_doh
>>
>> I was able to detect one blob in your image with the default threshold
>> value. See:
>> https://gist.github.com/vighneshbirodkar/c16515126e648cf92f08d3319d3a023e
>>
>> Find the result attached.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Vighnesh
>>
>> On Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 2:02:51 AM UTC-4, Raphael wrote:
>>
>>> hi folks,
>>>
>>>   Got a problem removing dust and identifying blobs/crytals. Kindly see
>>> my code below
>>>

>>> from __future__ import division, print_function
>>> import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
>>> import numpy as np
>>> from skimage import io, feature, color, measure, draw, img_as_float,
>>> exposure
>>> from skimage.filters.rank import median
>>> from skimage.feature import blob_dog, blob_log, blob_doh
>>> from skimage.morphology import disk
>>>
>>> #raw image
>>> image_raw =
>>> img_as_float((io.imread('/home/raphael/Documents/ScikitImage/Run
>>> 4-2_00061cropped.tif'))) (RawImage.tif attached)
>>> plt.imshow(image_raw)
>>>
>>> #converted to grayscale
>>>
>>> img_gray =
>>> color.rgb2gray(io.imread('/home/raphael/Documents/ScikitImage/Run
>>> 4-2_00061cropped.tif'))
>>> plt.imshow(image_gray)
>>>

>>> #applied median filter to take out small dust particles. But the big
>>> dust particle on the top right corner still persists (see median1.png
>>> attached)
>>> img_filtered=median(img_gray,disk(10))