Dropping support for 2.7 in 2020

Stéfan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Wed May 18 01:17:42 EDT 2016

Note that end of life for Python 2.x is actually now-ish, and that support
is being offered exactly so that industry and others have time to switch
over. It does not mean that folks should aim at using 2.7 until 2020!

Maintaining support for an old version of Python carries a maintenance
burden that I'd like to avoid if possible.

Also, once our dependencies such as numpy, scipy or matplotlib make the
move, we can theoretically keep supporting 2.x for a while longer, but not
*much* longer.

Folks in industry often run on platforms such as Anaconda, where this will
probably be a non issue by then. I'm more concerned about big clusters,
University labs, etc. But even there we are now able to provide both
virtual environments or Conda envs much more easily than before.

Stéfan