[scikit-image] Nonrigid image registration in Python

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 7 17:19:17 EDT 2016

Hi Almar

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016, at 01:21, almar.klein at gmail.com wrote:
> Aside from this announcement, I’d like to propose to put together a
> list of Python packages that do (nonrigid) image registration. Since
> efforts in Python-based image registration have only resulted in
> relatively small and unknown packages, it would be good to have an
> overview. What would be a good place for this? Maybe a wiki-page on
> scikit-image’s Gitub repo?

I've heard this from multiple fronts, and it is also an effort I am
interested in.  We would do well to unify the various implementations
lying around all over the place.

We worked on some tools 5 years ago:
https://github.com/pyimreg/python-register  I've since often used
Elastix (but your wrappers would have made that a lot less painful).
nipy (neuroimaging in Python) contains at least two registration
packages: some functionality in DiPy, others in nireg.

A wiki page + a project on GitHub may be a good way to organize
these tasks.

Thanks for taking this on; I am excited to see where it goes!