[scikit-image] COSFIRE in skimage?

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 11 14:31:53 EDT 2016

Hi George

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 11:23, George Azzopardi wrote:
> G. Azzopardi and N. Petkov, “Trainable COSFIRE filters for keypoint
> detection and pattern recognition”, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis
> and Machine Intelligence, vol. 35 (2), pp. 490-503, 2013.
>
> Since its publication we have used it in several applications with
> successful results. There is already the Matlab code available online:
> https://nl.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/37395-trainable-cosfire-filters-for-keypoint-detection-and-pattern-recognition
>
> I thought it would be great if we could implement it in Python and
> release it for free in this community. What do you think?

I would love to see a Python version out there, and to have a comparison
done with the current keypoint detectors in scikit-image.  With the
steady increase in citations of your paper, and proof of good
performance, I think this could be a good candidate for inclusion in
scikit-image.

Are you or one of your colleagues/students available to work on the
implementation?

Best regards