Fwd: PyData Community Cookbook - August Update

Emmanuelle Gouillart emmanuelle.gouillart at nsup.org
Thu Sep 1 13:00:37 EDT 2016

Hi Alexandre,

thanks for taking care of this.

My details
e-mail: emmanuelle.gouillart at nsup.org
institution: Joint Unit CNRS/Saint-Gobain Surface of Glass and
Interfaces, Aubervilliers, France

For the abstract I think you can also re-use materials from the
scikit-image paper, the abstract is

********
scikit-image is an image processing library that implements algorithms
and utilities for use in research, education and industry applications.
It is released under the liberal Modified BSD open source license,
provides a well-documented API in the Python programming language, and is
developed by an active, international team of collaborators. In this
paper we highlight the advantages of open source to achieve the goals of
the scikit-image library, and we showcase several real-world image
processing applications that use scikit-image. More information can be
found on the project homepage, http://scikit-image.org.
********

Don't worry too much about the abstract now, we'll have time to change
it. I'm not sure we have to give examples in the abstract, which should
be general enough.

But it's a good time to start thinking about the content. Even if it's
advertised as a "cookbook", I think that a length of 15-20 pages is
enough to present both "recipes" and also some big picture stuff (why and
when use scikit-image or other image processing libraries? what are the
typical coding patterns? etc.). As for the recipes, if we can re-use some
of our gallery examples it will save us some precious time. How about we
select one example if each of the chapters of the gallery and we take
advantage of the cookbook to improve it?

Best,
Emma