[scikit-image] How to move pull requests forward (devs, please read)

François Boulogne fboulogne at sciunto.org
Fri Apr 14 02:56:03 EDT 2017

Dear all,

As Juan, I believe that merging unpolished features is just displacing
the problem. Like a messy desk tidy up by dumping everything in the drawers.

Side remarks, It seems to me that the magic box is not ticked for our
oldest PR. So we need to ask the contributor sometimes to do it. I tried
to submit PR to contributors branches a couple of time and I always
failed with a awkward diff. I probably miss something stupid in the
procedure. Any guidance would be appreciated.

It sounds quite difficult to me to define rigid rules. Most of the
things I learned is with you guys because you pushed me beyond my
borders. Education is also a benefit.

Whatever the final decision, it's urgent to care about all the PRs we
have so far. We have few years old PRs, that we must either decide to
close or move forward by ourself. our objective must be to keep the
number of open PRs at a low level.

In addition, standard rules for our API would help (standard names of
variables, standard checks, typical default values etc), even just for
the reviewers. It will shortcut debates. Perhaps we can multiply these
discussions:
https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Adiscussion
and agree that it should end up with a note in the documentation.

All the best,

--
François Boulogne.
http://www.sciunto.org