[scikit-image] IO documentation

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 22 02:38:10 EST 2017

Hi Michael

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017, at 01:45, Michal Romaniuk wrote:

> The IO documentation doesn't seem to be very good. It explains how
> plugins work but it's scarce on examples e.g. on how to export jpeg
> image with a specified compression level. The IO API docs don't give
> much detail either. Some details can be found in the docs for
> external.tifffile but it takes some searching to find it. For PIL the
> only way to figure out how to use it seems to be looking at the source
> code - no modern docs as far as I can tell (did I fail to use Google
> properly?).

Thanks for your comment; unfortunately io.imsave does not currently
support specifying compression level (that is only supported for
TIFF files).

That said, you can accomplish this yourself using PIL:

In [1]: from skimage.io._plugins.pil_plugin import ndarray_to_pil

In [2]: from skimage import data

In [3]: img = data.chelsea()

In [4]: pil_img = ndarray_to_pil(img)

In [5]: pil_img.save('/tmp/chelsea0.jpg', quality=10)

In [6]: pil_img.save('/tmp/chelsea1.jpg', quality=90)

In [7]: !du -hcs /tmp/chelsea*.jpg

8.0K /tmp/chelsea0.jpg

36K /tmp/chelsea1.jpg

Best regards