[scikit-image] Future of nose and issues for scikit-image

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 19:04:49 EST 2017

+1 for pytest.

Nelle, can you comment a bit on why scikit-learn effectively decided to roll their own test library? ;) Is it part of their general (and well-justified) aversion to new dependencies, or were there specific objections to pytest?

Pytest mostly works out of the box with tests written for nose. As far as I know the exceptions are:

- all the nose imports that Stéfan pointed out (btw how did an import * make its way into our codebase???)
- it seems that yielding tests is deprecated, so that will require a few rewrites.

It's not a trivial effort to fix these, but I don't think it'll be any bigger than any other move.

Juan.