[scikit-image] Numba on pypi

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 04:10:24 EDT 2017

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 6:16 PM, Stefan van der Walt <stefanv at berkeley.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> As many of you know, speed has been a point of contention in
>> scikit-image for a long time.  We've made a very deliberate decision to
>> focus on writing high-level, understandable code (via Python and
>> Cython): both to lower the barrier to entry for newcomers, and to lessen
>> the burden on maintainers.  But execution time comparisons, vs OpenCV
>> e.g., left much to be desired.
>>
>> I think we have hit a turning point in the road.  Binary wheels for
>> Numba (actually, llvmlite) were recently uploaded to PyPi, making this
>> technology available to users on both pip and conda installations.  The
>> importance of this release on pypi should not be dismissed, and I am
>> grateful to the numba team and Continuum for making that decision.
>

> Agreed. Note that there are no Windows wheels up on PyPI (yet, or not
> coming?). Given that there are no SciPy wheels for Windows either I don't
> think that that changes your argument much - people should just use a binary
> distribution on Windows - but I thought I'd point it out anway.

We might be close to a working scipy wheel - discussion evolving over
at https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/7551#issuecomment-314922271

If we do succeed, that would make the lack of a numba wheel for
Windows much more significant.

Does anyone know Continuum's plans in this matter?   Is the numba
wheel recipe open-source?

Cheers,

Matthew