[scikit-image] Warning from view_as_blocks

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 15 12:59:42 EDT 2017

Hi Carlton

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 09:05, Carlton Banks wrote:

> but i am getting this error:

> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/skimage/util/shape.py:94:
> RuntimeWarning: Cannot provide views on a non-contiguous input array
> without copying. warn(RuntimeWarning("Cannot provide views on a non-
> contiguous input "
>

> Something i should be worried about?

If you start with a contiguous array (roughly speaking, where all values
are stored in a single block of memory), view_as_blocks can provide a
new "view" on the array without making any copies of the underlying
data: it does this by manipulating the array strides.  This is not
always possible, so while it will still create the structure you seek,
it makes a copy underneath the hood.  We warn users about this, because
it may be slow, and it may impact memory use.

Best regards