[scikit-image] Request to try a GitHub integration for automatic code style review | "PEP8Speaks"

Himanshu Mishra himanshu.mishra.kgp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 15:24:33 EDT 2017

Hello everyone,

I had made small contributions to scikit-image during January 2016 during
my initial days of learning Image Processing. It was really fun and I am
thankful to the community.

I am not sure if this is the right place to talk about it, but a lot of
times I have witnessed reviewers leave a little comment after reviewing the
whole PR, and it is more or less about "some style issues. :)". It should
be better for the reviewer to focus more on the implementation of the PR
and leave the style issues to a bot. Thinking this in mind, a while ago, I
created a Github Integration called PEP8 Speaks which automatically reviews
the code style and comments on the Pull Request. It is written in Python
and is open source. Github - https://github.com/orkohunter/pep8speaks

Few pointers about it:
1. The bot puts all its efforts in not being annoying. It makes a single
comment (within seconds), and keeps updating it as the user updates the PR.
2. It supports all of the configurations of pycodestyle (formerly known as
pep8)[1]. So, line length, specific error ignores, etc. are all possible
and can be customized.
3. The bot upon asking, can suggest a diff of changes and/or create a PR
against that branch with the fixes.

Few users of the integration include SunPy and scikit-learn-contrib. I
would appreciate any feedback from the scikit-image community about the
idea or the integration.

Keenly looking forward to the discussion.

[1]. https://github.com/PyCQA/pycodestyle

Thank you.
--
Himanshu Mishra