[scikit-image] linking to GPL code from BSD code (was: BM3D)

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 21:22:38 EDT 2017

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Stefan van der Walt <stefanv at berkeley.edu>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017, at 16:32, Juan Nunez-Iglesias wrote:
> > Stéfan, as an aside, I notice that SPORCO is BSD, but uses PyFFTW. 🤔
>
> Yes, I'm aware.  If we ever do rely on this code, we'll have to switch
> that out.

I'm not pointing it out to switch it out. Rather, I've heard from many GPL
proponents that linking/importing GPL in BSD code is fine, and saying the
opposite is simply FUD. So I'm wondering whether SPORCO is unwittingly
illegal or simply bearing this out. Know of any cases where this has been
specifically tested?