[scikit-image] region analysis 3d

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni at fastmail.com
Sat Apr 14 22:40:44 EDT 2018

Hi Yan,

For point 1, I think “perimeter” is the wrong word for 3D, but you could add “surface” and make that @only3d. I think this would be a very valuable addition! There’s several variants of this that would be interesting, for example, the number of pixels minus the number of pixels after erosion could approximate the surface area.

I’m not sure I understand point 2. What are you trying to say here? Doing a region-props version where the input is e.g. pixel contours? This is an interesting idea but I would hesitate to overload regionprops, and would instead define a new function, e.g. “coordprops” or “contourprops”. What do you think?

Juan.