[scikit-image] robust epipolar geometry estimation with ransac

Johannes Schönberger jsch at demuc.de
Thu Mar 22 05:07:49 EDT 2018

Hi,

It seems like OpenCV is computing the point to epipolar line distance (see https://github.com/opencv/opencv/blob/master/modules/calib3d/src/fundam.cpp#L205) while we use the geometrically more meaningful Sampson error (see https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image/blob/master/skimage/transform/_geometric.py#L367). They are not equivalent, hence your residual threshold between the two calls is not consistent.

You could implement the point to epipolar line residual yourself by subclassing our FundamentalMatrixTransform.

Cheers,
Johannes