[scikit-image] A request for more frequent releases

François Boulogne fboulogne at sciunto.org
Mon Sep 10 03:04:25 EDT 2018

Hi Mark,

It's great that you point this out and you take the time to do it.

> With the long time lag between releases, writing code or bug fixes for
> scikit-image means that I have to replicate them for my own projects.
> My current workaround has converged to having a subdirectory
> `upstream/skimage` where I hold a few bug fixes that I have come to
> rely on from the `master` branch of `scikit-image`.
> Not only is that costly, but refactoring my code after scikit-image
> will get a release will also be costly. As such, I now have a
> disincentive to submit patches, bug reports, speedups to scikit-image.
> Having my own `upstream/skimage` directory means that I will likely
> diverge from scikit-image's best practices when I implement my own
> functions.

When such a situation happens to me, I tend to combine virtualenv and
pip install from git (pip install git+https://...).  My comment is not
here to ignore the issue you raise, just to point out a possible
workaround. ;)

Best,

--
François Boulogne.