[scikit-learn] Is there any official position on PEP484/mypy?

Daniel Moisset dmoisset at machinalis.com
Thu Jul 28 12:15:36 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Andreas Mueller <t3kcit at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/28/2016 11:55 AM, Daniel Moisset wrote:
>

>> Given that there's interest (or at least no opposition) on this I feel
>> inclined to create a fork and start adding annotations (the comment-based
>> ones) into the code (which is better suited for this scenario than creating
>> external type stubs). We're already putting work into it and would be more
>> than happy to turn it into a contribution if it works well (which is a
>> "real" if given that this is still an experimental terrain)
>>
>> That sounds good to me. But please keep in mind that I don't speak for
> the project, so if it works well, we would still need to achieve consensus
> within
> the project that this is something useful.

Of course; again I'm doing it anyway because I need/want it. So I'm fine if
you end up not using it; but I'd be happier if it's useful for people
outside our team.

If you find some bugs with the annotations and mypy, that would probably
> prove its value to some degree [and if you don't, I might be inclined to
> argue it's not working well ;]

heh, most mature software in python doesn't have many *type* bugs (which
tend to be more superficial), so I don't think I'll change much. I have
already played a bit with annotating some 3rd party code[1] and I did not
found bugs, but I found some opportunities to make code more readable
and/or simple.

@Matthew:

Regarding 2.6 vs 2.7, I don't believe it changes anything with respect to
the effort needed here (2.7 vs 3.x would make a bigger difference, but I
know that will take some time).

Best,
    D.

--