[scikit-learn] Artificial neural network not learning lower values of the training sample

chris brew cbrew at acm.org
Wed Jun 1 08:40:53 EDT 2016

Experienced machine learning people usually start by trying to exactly
replicate what the paper did, using
exactly the same data, and exactly the same methods, and if possible, even
exactly the same software. It is very comforting
if you can do this, because you can then go ahead and make changes, secure
in the knowledge that the reasons for any
changes in output are due to the changes you made, and not to small
mistakes in data preparation, tool arguments or something.

So it is a good plan to start by seeing whether you can arrange to have the
same setup as the writers of the original paper. It is
polite to try to do this on your own if you can (and the effort is a useful
learning experience, usually) Maybe the data and/or software is publicly
available. If not, authors are often willing and able to share material
privately, so you could write to them and ask for help. Since you are
showing interest in their work, they will want to help if they can. And if
they do, you have the beginnings of a useful personal connection. The only
pre-condition is that you should (again as matter of politeness) first make
an honest attempt to replicate their work, and make sure you really
understand it. After you have done that, asking for help is appropriate.

Generally speaking, the time to ask questions on a public forum like
scikit-learn is also after you have done all you can to solve your problem.

Best wishes

Chris