[scikit-learn] Fwd: ValueError

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 14:39:03 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Sebastian Raschka
<mail at sebastianraschka.com> wrote:
>> I think you're using system Python on the Mac.   I'd really strongly
>> recommend against that, because system Python
>
> Yeah, but I think that the system Python doesn’t come with NumPy and SciPy installed on a Mac?

That's the entire problem - system Python has its own private copy of
numpy and scipy and matplotlib that are not in the usual sys.path
places:

$ /usr/bin/python -c 'import numpy; print(numpy.__file__)'
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/numpy/__init__.pyc

Then, if you try to upgrade them with pip, the new packages are below
the private copies in directory precedence, and the effect is that the
upgrade is ignored.

In effect, system Python is for the system, if you want to own your
Python, you need to install another copy for yourself.

Cheers,

Matthew