[scikit-learn] Fwd: libmf bindings

Andy t3kcit at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 12:10:40 EDT 2016

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	libmf bindings
Date: 	Wed, 2 Nov 2016 11:38:00 -0400
From: 	sam royston <sfoxroyston at gmail.com>
To: 	scikit-learn-owner at python.org

Hi,

Thanks for all your hard work on this useful tool! I'm hoping to
contribute bindings to Chih-Jen Lin's libmf:
https://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/libmf/
<https://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/%7Ecjlin/libmf/>. It looks like you guys
have functionality for NMF, but used only in the decomposition/
dimensionality reduction setting (and obviously only with non-negative
values). Id like to add functionality in the form python wrappers for
libmf, much like you have for Chih-Jen Lin's other libraries libsvm and
liblinear.

Libmf is very efficient and offers great functionality for missing data
imputation, recommendation systems and more.

I have already written bindings using ctypes, but I see that you have
you Cython for libsvm and liblinear - is it necessary that I switch to
that interface?

Let me know what you think of a contribution like this.

Thanks,
Sam