[scikit-learn] Development workflow proposal: merge master instead of rebasing

Andreas Mueller t3kcit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 14:59:53 EST 2016

Hi all.

I think we should change our development practices for resolving
merge-conflicts from rebasing to merging.
The "squash and merge" button of github gets rid of any merge commits
and results in a clean history in any case.

The benefit of merging instead of rebasing is that github is able to
track comments much better if you don't force-push.
In particular the links in notification emails might work better when
not doing force-pushes.
I'm not entirely sure how the mechanism works, but I think it's worth
giving it a go.
When merging master it's also harder to screw up an PR entirely (I
think) which would make it easier to people new to git.

Wdyt?

Andy