[scikit-learn] Random Forest with Bootstrapping

Sebastian Raschka se.raschka at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 15:59:38 EDT 2016

> Hi,
>
> That helped a lot. Thank you very much. I have one more (silly?) doubt though.
>
> Won't an n-sized bootstrapped sample have repeated entries? Say we have an original dataset of size 100. A bootstrap sample (say, B) of size 100 is drawn from this set. Since 32 of the original samples are left out (theoretically at least), some of the samples in B must be repeated?

Yeah, you'll definitely have duplications, that’s why (if you have an infinitely large n) only 0.632*n samples are unique ;).

Say your dataset is

[0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9] (where the numbers represent the indices of your data points)

then a bootstrap sample could be

[9, 1, 1, 0, 4, 4, 5, 7, 9, 9] and your left out sample is consequently [2, 3, 6, 8]