[scikit-learn] FYI: StratifiedKFold(..., shuffle=True) differs in 0.19

Joel Nothman joel.nothman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 19:38:42 EST 2017

It has come to our attention in #10274
<https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/issues/10274> that we
accidentally changed shuffled StratifiedKFold behaviour in the 0.19.0
release from what had come before. That is, for the same random state, you
will get a different cross-validation data partition.

This change (merged in #7823)
<https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/pull/7823>was not documented
in 0.19 release notes. We will update the online docs to mention it. The
change provided negligible benefit for users.

The change shouldn't have happened, but we likely won't revert it unless
the community has a strongly divergent opinion.

Cheers,

Joel and Andy