[scikit-learn] can we have a slack team for scikit-learn

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sun Feb 19 12:08:15 EST 2017

I agree: the limiting factor is everybody's time. Technology doesn't help
much in this respect. I am afraid that if we add a slack channel, we are
just going to get much dilution. I don't see what killer feature that
slack has that would suddenly make it that knowledgeable people have more
time.

In order to make the best use of my personnal time, I must admit that I
stick to a rule: github is where I spend my time.

Gaël

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 05:50:49PM -0800, Nelson Liu wrote:
> >  However, I can easily see this becoming yet another chat medium that is
> sparsely attended in which case it would be detrimental to split everyone's
> attention even further.
> I definitely agree with this and think that this would (likely) be the end
> outcome -- gitter and irc didn't/don't "work", so I'm pessimistic as to slack's
> chances.

> On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Jacob Schreiber <jmschreiber91 at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>     I would support a slack channel --if-- we had channels for different groups
>     of modules, like a tree channel and a linear methods channel, and
>     developers involved in those sections populated the channels. This would
>     allow people to ask questions to developers involved directly. However, I
>     can easily see this becoming yet another chat medium that is sparsely
>     attended in which case it would be detrimental to split everyone's
>     attention even further.

>     On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Naoya Kanai <naopon at gmail.com> wrote:

>         The Gitter channel is occasionally active (https://gitter.im/
>         scikit-learn/scikit-learn) so you might want to check it out.

>         On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 5:01 PM, SHUBHAM BHARDWAJ 15BCE0704 <
>         shubham.bhardwaj2015 at vit.ac.in> wrote:

>             Hello Friends,

>             I have tried Slack and its awesome. Things are more dynamic. I have
>             faced some problems which I am sure slack can alleviate like-

>             When working on some issue if I need some guidance I am not sure
>             when I will get  reply. That maybe usually within 2-3 days or
>             more.Maybe some fellow programmer who is free can discuss and we
>             may find a good solution. I think collaboration would be much
>             better.

>             Regards
>             Shubham Bhardwaj

    Gael Varoquaux
    Researcher, INRIA Parietal
    NeuroSpin/CEA Saclay , Bat 145, 91191 Gif-sur-Yvette France
    Phone:  ++ 33-1-69-08-79-68
    http://gael-varoquaux.info            http://twitter.com/GaelVaroquaux