[scikit-learn] Replacing the Boston Housing Prices dataset

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 19:36:41 EDT 2017

For what it's worth: I'm sympathetic to the argument that you can't fix the problem if you don't measure it, but I agree with Tony that "many tutorials use it" is an extremely weak argument. We removed Lena from scikit-image because it was the right thing to do. I very much doubt that Boston house prices is in more widespread use than Lena was in image processing.

You can argue about whether or not it's morally right or wrong to include the dataset. I see merit to both arguments. But "too many tutorials use it" is very similar in flavour to "the economy of the South would collapse without slavery."

Regarding fair uses of the feature, I would hope that all sklearn tutorials using the dataset mention such uses. The potential for abuse and misinterpretation is enormous.