[scikit-learn] Random Forest max_features and boostrap construction parameters interpretation

Brown J.B. jbbrown at kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Jun 6 01:02:21 EDT 2017

Dear Jacob,

Thank you for this clarification.  It is a great help in interpreting the
(good) results that we are obtaining for computational chemogenomics, and
also help in deciding directions of future studies.

Perhaps then, the random forest documentation (description web page) could
be updated to reflect our discussion, in that it might help others who have
the same questions of interpretation.

Perhaps, we can add the following (with notation symbols corrected to match
sklearn standards):
----------
In general, for a modeling problem with N training instances each having F
features, a random forest of T trees operates by building T decision trees
such that each tree is provided a subsampling of N instances and the F
features for those subsampled instances.

When bootstrapping is applied, the instance subsampling can potentially
choose the same instance multiple times, in which such an instance will
have elevated weighting.
When bootstrapping is not applied, the entire training set is provided to
the tree-building algorithm.

Each tree is built by considering a maximum specified number of informative
features at each decision node, such that features with no variance are
excluded from the features to consider for a split and do not count toward
the number of informative features.
Splitting on the informative features can occur as many times as necessary,
unless a maximum depth is specified in the constructor.
Note that an informative feature can be re-applied to form a decision
criteria at more than node in the decision tree.

Adjustments welcome.

Many thanks again!
J.B.