[scikit-learn] Using Scikit-Learn to predict magnetism in chemical systems

Robert Slater rdslater at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 13:25:29 EDT 2017

You definitely can use some of the tools in sci-kit learn for supervised
machine learning.  The real trick will be how well your training system is
representative of your future predictions.  All of the various regression
algorithms would be of some value and you make even consider an ensemble to
help generalize.  There will be some important questions to answer--what
kind of loss function do you want to look at?  I assumed regression
(continuous response) but it could also classify--paramagnetic,
diamagnetic, ferromagnetic, etc...

Another task to think about might be dimension reduction.
There is no guarantee you will get fantastic results--every problem is
unique and much will depend on exactly what you want out of the
solution--it may be that we get '10%' accuracy at best--for some systems
that is quite good, others it is horrible.

If you'd like to talk specifics, feel free to contact me at this email.  I
have a background in magnetism (PhD in magnetic multilayers--i was physics,
but as you are probably aware chemisty and physics blend in this area) and
have a fairly good knowledge of sci-kit learn and machine learning.