[scikit-learn] unclear help file for sklearn.decomposition.pca

Roman Yurchak rth.yurchak at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 11:34:17 EDT 2017

On 16/10/17 17:16, Ismael Lemhadri wrote:
> My concern is actually not about not mentioning the scaling but about
> not mentioning the centering.
> That is, the sklearn PCA removes the mean but it does not mention it in
> the help file.

I think it's currently assumed given the definition of the PCA, but you
are right, the subtraction of the mean and the relationship to the SVD
decomposition (i.e. TruncatedSVD) could be more clearly stated in the
docsting and in the user manual,

http://scikit-learn.org/stable/modules/decomposition.html#principal-component-analysis-pca

Feel free to open an issue on Github about it or to submit a pull
request to improve the documentation,

--
Roman