[scikit-learn] Topic for thesis work on scikit learn

Gaurav Dhingra gauravdhingra.gxyd at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 16:36:12 EDT 2017

Hi Andreas,

No, I don't have a local mentor (at least not now neither did I think of
it). I'll talk to a professor (that I know of) in my college's CS
department. My plan was to make some good volunteer contributions in
December and on the basis of those made contributions to ask for a
mentor. I totally understand the absence of full-time availability of
core scikit-learn developers on this.

Considering my past experience with SymPy's contribution with the help
of my mentor (in Finland), I think I can try to override the problem of
absence of local mentor (in case I don't get access to one) both of my
past projects were pure maths based. My only worry would be that I could
choose a project having good enough impact on scikit-learn 's development.

So the point is I'll try to make contribution and if I think I've made
good enough contributions I'll ask on this mail thread.

PS: Sorry, I mistakenly sent that mail to you, I intended to send that
mail to the list.

On Wednesday 01 November 2017 01:43 AM, Andreas Mueller wrote:
> Hi Gaurav.
>
> Do you have a local mentor? I think having a mentor that can guide you
> during a thesis is very important.
> You could get some feedback from the community for a contribution, but
> that can be slow,
> and is entirely on volunteer basis, so there is no guarantee that
> you'll get the necessary feedback in time
> to finish your thesis.
>
> Mentoring a thesis - in particular without knowing you - is a serious
> commitment, so I'm not sure someone
> from inside the project will want to do this. I saw you already made a
> contribution in https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/pull/10005
> but that's a very different scope than doing what I expect would be
> several month of work.
>
> Best,
> Andy
>
> On 10/31/2017 03:31 PM, Gaurav Dhingra wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am a final year (5th year) undergraduate Applied Mathematics
>> student in India. I am thinking of doing my final year thesis by
>> doing some work (coding part) on scikit learn, so I was thinking if
>> anyone could tell me if there are available topics (not necessarily
>> names of those topics) that I could work on being an undergraduate
>> student? I would want to expand upon this in December when my exams
>> will be over. But in the mean time would want to take a step in that
>> direction by just knowing if there will be available topics that I
>> could work on.
>>
>> It could be the case that available topics are not so easy for an
>> undergraduate, still in that case I would like to do some research on
>> the topics first.

Best,
Gaurav Dhingra
(sent from Thunderbird email client)