[scikit-learn] [ANN] Scikit-learn 0.20.0

Sebastian Raschka mail at sebastianraschka.com
Wed Oct 3 13:14:13 EDT 2018

The ONNX-approach sounds most promising, esp. because it will also allow library interoperability but I wonder if this is for parametric models only and not for the nonparametric ones like KNN, tree-based classifiers, etc.

All-in-all I can definitely see the appeal for having a way to export sklearn estimators in a text-based format (e.g., via JSON), since it would make sharing code easier. This doesn't even have to be compatible with multiple sklearn versions. A typical use case would be to include these JSON exports as e.g., supplemental files of a research paper for other people to run the models etc. (here, one can just specify which sklearn version it would require; of course, one could also share pickle files, by I am personally always hesitant reg. running/trusting other people's pickle files).

Unfortunately though, as Gael pointed out, this "feature" would be a huge burden for the devs, and it would probably also negatively impact the development of scikit-learn itself because it imposes another design constraint.

However, I do think this sounds like an excellent case for a contrib project. Like scikit-export, scikit-serialize or sth like that.

Best,
Sebastian